As the woman walked over towards me, saying "thank you," she extended her hand to me. In it was a folded up bill, maybe ten dollars, I'm not sure.
Quickly I said "oh no, they're free".
She said, "Are you sure?"
"Yes" I replied.
I have what a friend of mine calls a pass-along garden. I have this garden thanks to her and other friends, and acquaintances, and even strangers who have passed on cuttings, bulbs and divided plants from their garden to mine. Today I was returning the favor.
I'm thinning my iris bed and putting boxes of tubers out by the curb for free - a pass-along garden in action.
My lavender irises came from that friend who first used the term pass-along garden to me. As we walked through her garden, maybe six years ago now, she pointed out all the flowers and herbs that others had given her. I left that day with a couple of paper bags full of various bulbs and the lavender iris tubers she had pulled from her garden during the last thinning she had done.
When I walk out in my garden I am reminded at every turn of a friend. I am reminded of shared times together, their laughter, and their tears. Gardening connects you to the dirt, to the ground, to the seasons, and, in the case of a pass-along garden, to the people who have passed through your life.
These tubers from my garden will now be growing in a dozen or more gardens, the gardens of strangers.
And not only lavender iris tubers but also sunny yellow ones that came from another dear friend's garden.
When I harvest some oregano or walking onions, I am eating of the same mother plant as my friends.
When I plant my garlic crop I am reminded of the good friends who gave me my first garlic cloves for starting my own plot of garlic.
The chives, which provide both visual beauty and culinary help, connect me to friends. When my plant flowers, their's is no doubt doing the same.
I gave away about nine boxes of iris tubers and naked lady bulbs. It felt so good to see people taking them to plant in their own gardens. Knowing that they too will be enjoying these beautiful blossoms in the seasons to come. When that woman tried to give me cash for the bulbs I was quite surprised. But it felt good to say no. It felt good to give them away and see people leaving with a smile on their faces.
And when my irises bloom next summer I'll know that many others are enjoying them also.
And when the naked ladies send up their long stems and produce their pink trumpet flowers, I won't be alone in my admiration of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment