I like to make non-meat dishes from time to time. It provides a little variation in our menu. Also it has us eating a little lower on the food-chain during those meals. Raising meat uses resources. Eating lower on the food-chain can mean less resources being used to provide us with protein.
There are many good vegetarian cookbooks out there - two that come to my mind are Anna Thomas' The Vegetarian Epicure and The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. I would recommend acquiring both of these cookbooks if you want to introduce some vegetarian dishes into your diet.
One dish I made recently was Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche from Mollie Katzen's above referenced cookbook. The glass pan I used was a bit shallow so I had leftover filling, but the quiche was delicious nonetheless.
| swiss cheese & mushroom quiche |
Swiss Cheese & Mushroom Quiche
1 10-inch pie crust (recipe follows), pressed into either a pie pan or a springform tart pan
1 tsp. butter
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced or minced
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper
a pinch of thyme
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I used an equivalent squirt of brown mustard)
4 large eggs
1-1/2 cups milk (can be lowfat)
2 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 cups (packed) swiss cheese
paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a small pan. Add onions and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes. When they begin to soften, add mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, and mustard. Sauté about 5 minutes more and remove from heat.
3. Combine eggs, milk, and flour in a blender or food processor, and beat well.
4. Spread the grated cheese over the bottom of the unbaked crust, and spread the onion-mushroom mixture on top. Pour in the custard, and sprinkle the top with paprika.
5. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until solid in the center. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Yield 1 10-inch pie (4 to 6 servings)
The crust:
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups flour
about 4 tablespoons cold water, milk, or buttermilk
1. Use a pastry cutter, two forks, or a food processor to cut together the butter and flour until the mixture is uniformly blended and resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Add just enough liquid to hold the dough together. Press into pie pan.
| swiss cheese & mushroom quiche |
| cauliflower-cheese pie with grated potato crust |
Another really good dish from the same cookbook is Cauliflower-Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust. I've made this dish many times and always enjoy it. Her recipe follows:
Cauliflower-Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust
makes 1 9-inch pie (4 to 5 servings)
Convenience tips: use food processor with grating attachment to grate cheese, potato, and onion in that order. (No need to clean in between.)
CRUST:
2 cups (packed) grated raw potato
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
flour for your fingers
a little oil
FILLING:
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 medium cauliflower, in small pieces
2 eggs (or 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white)
1/4 cup milk (low fat ok)
1 cup (packed) grated cheddar
paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Oil a 9-inch pie pan.
2. Combine grated potato and onion, salt, and egg white in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer to the pie pan and pat into place with lightly floured fingers, building up the sides into a handsome edge.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, then brush the crust with a little oil and bake it 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, and turn the temperature down to 375-degrees F.
4. Heat the olive oil or butter in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stir, and cover. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally (about 8 to 10 minutes).
5. Spread half the cheese onto the baked crust (OK if it’s still hot). Spoon the sautéed vegetables on top, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour this over the top. Dust lightly with paprika.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until set. Serve hot or warm.
My changes: I think this makes three servings, but maybe we are big eaters. I used 2 medium-large russet potatoes. I did not flour my fingers. I used extra virgin olive oil, as usual. I used 3 garlic cloves. I guessed at all the salt amounts - probably using a scant less than it called for. I used about 1 teaspoon dry basil and no thyme. In the past I have used dry oregano too. I use 1 whole egg and the leftover crust yolk in my filling as I don’t want any leftover egg parts. I have made this with all cheddar, cheddar and jack cheeses, and provolone and parmesan in the past - this time I used mostly cheddar and a little jack cheese that I wanted to use up. I don’t have a deep pie pan, so I usually use a cast iron skillet - and the crust always sticks. Someday I will thrift me a deep pie pan. I use the thick-grate side of the grater for the potato and onion. It is quite delicious.
| cauliflower-cheese pie with grated potato crust |
Happy New Year and Happy Cooking!
No comments:
Post a Comment