This is the first time I have ever made mini cupcakes. And I think it's been 40*cough*-years since I've made cupcakes period. Cakes, pies, cookies - yep, I make that kind of stuff from time to time. But cupcakes, no. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it's one of those things one makes when one has kids . . . and I have none of those. Maybe it's because they are a bit more labor intensive than one big cake.
So why did I decide to make these cupcakes? Well, we were invited to an Easter Brunch potluck party and I thought I'd like to make a dessert for a change. And bite-sized, finger-food is always easier to eat when one is standing about chatting with other folks who are also eating on their feet. So, I went searching on the internet for some recipes and found two that I liked.
The first was a Carrot-Cake Mini Cupcakes recipe by Martha Stewart. I followed her recipe fairly closely with excellent results. I filled the cupcake liners about 3/4-full so they rose up to the liner for ease of frosting.
Also I didn't need all of the frosting as I just put a dollop of frosting (like a frosting "kiss") on top of each one. This gave me extra of her frosting to use on the other cupcakes that I made. Oh, and I used honey instead of maple syrup to make the frosting as that was what I had in stock. Delicious.
Which brings me to the Mini Chocolate Cupcakes that I also made.
I followed this recipe fairly closely too. I did find that I needed to fill the cupcakes liners about 2/3-full instead of the 3/4-full suggested so my cupcakes didn't spill over the top so much.
I was very happy with how the mini cupcakes turned out - they were all gobbled up at the Easter Brunch with many nice comments about them. I think both of these recipes will be "keepers" for me. I hope you had a wonderful Easter too.


No comments:
Post a Comment