Friday, January 31, 2014

the winter blues

Naw, no depression here. I'm thinking about those wonderful little blue balls in the freezer . . .  those blueberries we picked last summer and stashed away in the freezer for our winter enjoyment. 




I'll pop them into my mouth still frozen for a little treat. Or thaw them out to eat on my breakfast granola or yogurt. And I bake with them. I really like making Blueberry Yogurt Scones for breakfast.


Blueberry Yogurt Scones   

1 2/3 cup flour (I make it about one-half whole wheat flour to all-purpose)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup blueberries (or other berries or even nuts would work)

Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicon baking mat, or grease it.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
Dice the butter into small pieces and blend it into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until no butter is visible.
Add the yogurt, milk, and blueberries and gently blend them together until the dough forms a ball. Be sure to handle the dough carefully and avoid over mixing the dough.
Pat the dough into a flat round with about 1 inch in thickness then cut into eight wedges with a knife or a pastry cutter (I use a pizza wheel - dipping it in flour as needed).
Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet with some space around each so they can expand.
Bake for 15 minutes, until the top of the scones is set and lightly golden brown.
Enjoy.



No comments: